Sutter Health Lean Consultant - Office of Transformation in Oakland, California
The Lean Consultant is a key resource for driving a Lean-based management system across the organization.
The Lean Consultant will be part of a team responsible for teaching and coaching administrators, clinicians and front-line staff on the application of Lean to solve organizational problems.
The Lean Consultant leads and facilitates improvement projects with some coaching, including Kaizen Events, Value Stream Mapping sessions, and other kaizen events, and contributes to the development and implementation of improvement programs across the organization. Consults to and coaches process owners, value stream owners, paired leaders and sponsors, as well as front line staff.
Contributes to the development and execution of training and infrastructure for the Lean Promotion Office.
Education: BA/BS required or equivalent education and experience. Master’s degree in Business, Health Administration or related field from an accredited college or university preferred. Lean certification preferred.
Experience: Requires demonstrated experience in managing improvement projects or teams either in improvement projects or operations that is typically acquired with 3-6 years of related work experience and 1-2 years in a dedicated Lean role. Prior management experience; healthcare industry experience and / or consulting or project management experience strongly preferred.
Required: Highly respected team player/learner. Possesses a strong desire and ability to rapidly learn and apply the principles of a Lean enterprise. Knowledge of and experience successfully training and implementing Lean tools and concepts, such as:
• Structured problem solving approaches such as A3 thinking
• Kaizen Events
• Value Stream Mapping
• Lean technical concepts such as 5S, quality, Flow, and visual systems.
• More advanced lean technical concepts such as: Level loading, Pull, Mistake-Proofing and Rapid Changeover
• Demonstrated skills in consulting, group process facilitation, whole system design, negotiation, change management & conflict resolution.
• Strong communication skills (verbal, written and listening) with ability to interact effectively across the organization, especially in situations requiring instructing, persuading, negotiating, resolving conflict, consulting and advising. Must be comfortable speaking in public and to various audiences.
• Skilled in teaching improvement concepts and principles to diverse audiences from senior management to frontline staff.
• A demonstrated track record of successfully working with and motivating diverse work teams, preferably including physicians.
• Excellent project management skills including project time, and scope.
• Able to read & interpret data; translates data into meaningful information and uses data to shape work at both the department and enterprise level; possesses strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Able to perform complex tasks, prioritize multiple projects, and work under pressue to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Highly proficient in all applications of Microsoft Office, with an emphasis on Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Word and Outlook.
Preferred: Ability to coach leaders on leader standard work. Understanding of healthcare industry & terminology.
Organization: East Bay Region
Employee Status: Regular
Position Status: Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.